Ambrose Crowley’s plant at Swalwell was built in the first decade of the eighteenth century, a mile downstream from Winlaton Mill, his existing factory in the Derwent Valley. When inventoried in 1728, which may have been the occasion for the drawing up of this plan, the Swalwell works included two steel furnaces (although only one, “No. 4,” with its conical chimney, is shown here), associated forge hammers, a slitting mill, a blade mill, four anchor shops, air furnaces valued at £100, three warehouses, five hoe makers’ shops, and shops for the making of frying pans, patten rings, and nails. Courtesy of the Tyne and Wear Archives Service, DX104/1. Not to be reproduced without permission.